The 2022 ACAP Essay Scholarship Contest
The Association for Community Affiliated Plans (ACAP) will once again sponsor its annual Essay Scholarship Contest. This well-known contest is a significant opportunity to highlight your academic interests and advance your educational track. Chloe Schmidt of Fallston, Maryland, was the 2020 winner of this prestigious contest and the very first Priority Partners member to win the award. You or a family member pursuing higher education could be the next national champion! If you or a family member has a demonstrated career interest in health care or social services, apply now to compete for a scholarship that can contribute $5,000 to college or graduate school. Priority Partners members and their family members should apply for the ACAP Scholarship Program by May 16, 2022.
- This scholarship will have no impact on the winner’s Medicaid eligibility. The money goes directly to the school and is used for tuition. It cannot be used for food or living expenses and will not count as unearned income.
- The money must be used for tuition or educational expenses at an institution of higher learning. This can include books and lab fees, but not living expenses such as rent or meal plans.
- Current enrollees in Priority Partners, or their immediate family members (spouses, children, parents, guardians or siblings), are eligible to apply. If you are a family member of a Priority Partners member and have an uncommon living arrangement, please clarify on the application.
- If you have applied in previous years, you can reapply. However, if you have won this scholarship in the past, you are no longer eligible.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need:
- Completed Application Form
- Transcript of your grades (high school/GED or transcript from higher education institution)
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, employer or other community member who is not related to you
- Three personal essays (650 words or less each) answering these questions:
- How have you benefited from the medical care, services and/or supports that have been provided by Priority Partners? (This can be from medical care you may have received from your doctor, nurse or other medical professional and/or any contact or experience you have had with Priority Partners.)
- How will your studies further your career in the health care and/or human/social services fields?
- Why are you a good candidate to receive this award?
- Send application and information to PPS@jhhc.com by May 16, 2022.
Winner of the 2020 ACAP Scholarship Essay Contest
“Any money to help me achieve my ambition, and use it in turn to help people – to give what I’ve been given – is huge.”
— Chloe Schmidt
The Sylvia B. Kelly Medical Scholarship for Health Equity
Are you or a member of your family interested in pursuing a medical career with a focus on health equity? Apply for the Sylvia B. Kelly Medical Scholarship for Health Equity scholarship, which can put $25,000 toward your college, technical or vocational school tuition! The $25,000 award will support a medical student who has a demonstrated interest in promoting health equity through reducing the Black maternal mortality gap. Priority Partners members and their family members can apply for the Association for Community Affiliated Plans (ACAP) Scholarship Program by April 30, 2022.
To qualify for the Scholarship, the applicant must:
- Be enrolled in an LCME-Accredited, M.D.-granting medical school in the United States
- Have demonstrated financial need
- Be completing the fourth year of medical school during the 2022-2023 academic year, with an anticipated graduation in Spring 2023
- Use the award toward tuition, fees or repayment of debt for the same
Additionally, the selected Scholar may:
- Be offered the opportunity to enter into a mentoring relationship with the chief medical officer of an ACAP-member plan
- Receive an invitation to attend the ACAP CEO Summit in the summer or to another event in Washington, DC (ACAP would cover reasonable costs of travel and lodging)
How to Apply
Apply for the Sylvia B. Kelly Medical Scholarship by April 30, 2022 at nmf.smapply.io.
The Sylvia B. Kelly Medical Scholarship for Health Equity scholarship is administered by the National Medical Foundation (NMF), which has provided scholarships and support for underrepresented minority students in medicine and the health professions since 1946. NMF alumni serve tens of millions of patients every year.
If you have questions, contact Patricia Thomas at PPS@jhhc.com.